Friday 30 December 2011

The Sewing Journey Begins...

As it happens when one gets new interests, I've bought a book to help me in my trials when I face my brand new Christmas sewing machine!  I wasn't looking, but I came accross this great book at a Waterstone's: The Colette Sewing Handbook.  It comes with a few patterns, but most importantly, really basic instruction for people who have no experience with this stuff!

I've been really impressed with the simplicity and great teaching this book offers, and it's gathered up my courage to face the scary machine.  I'm already excited for my first project that the book features!  I originally thought my first sewing projects weren't going to be things I could wear, but would be funny deformed pincushions etc.  But stay tuned for some progress on a new skirt...

And lo and behold, Colette Patterns has its own website, as well as a blog (www.coletterie.com)!  I think I'm now a fan.
Another step I need to take in my sewing endeavors, in addition to the sewing maching and the knowhow to work it, is somewhere to actually keep it, and a space to lay out patterns and do the ironing etc - I think for now that will be the living room when the house is less occupied and I'm not getting in everyone's way!  And I've decided I need to source a place to set the sewing machine on, because the large desk is probably not ideal (but ideal for the laying out of things!).  Enter Argos:

At £11.99 I can afford to lavish new furniture on my flat!  I think it will fit perfectly hidden away behind the couch in the corner of the living room... I can't wait!  This will be the first thing to set up after I'm back from my Christmas holidays in the new Year...

Cory

No comments:

Post a Comment