Tuesday 9 October 2012

I just thought of something...

I thought it was fitting that I'm now living in Oxford while I'm making my book-themed jewellery - you know, literary town, Oxford University Press, bookshops galore (the Blackwell's is so big they actually have Shakespeare performances on one of the floors, AMONG the bookshelves!!) and probably the biggest concentration of libraries per capita in the world.

Oxford Blackwell's, the best darn bookstore in the world

But then it just occured to me, as I wrote out my return address the zillionth time tonight.  I used to live in READING.  R-E-A-D-I-N-G!  That must look like a pun on the envelope when I send out people's bookshelf necklaces!  The thing is, Reading is pronounced "red-ing" and indeed, used to be spelled back in the day r-e-d-d-i-n-g.  I'm not sure why it changed, and why we don't change it back... but I look at it and think 'town' not 'activity', and it didn't occur to me that it was a great town name for my business address. 

But how fitting it that!

No comments:

Post a Comment